Thursday, March 17, 2011

Just Like Idol Contestants, Growing Sick of Idol

On perhaps the week I hate most every year on Idol, contestants sang songs from the year they were born which resulted in songs from the 80's and 90's.  It's not that there is anything wrong with these decades as there is a slew of music I love, it is simply that I find myself learning that these kids were born anywhere from the year I was Bar Mitzvah'd to the year I graduated from high school.  I rue the day when they were born the year I graduated from college (sadly that is just a few seasons away).

As for the contestants tonight, off key and flat throughout, Naima Adedapo opened the night and made me think less of the Tina Turner classic "What's Love Got To Do With It?" and more of "What Does Being in Tune Got To Do With It?"  The answer? Everything.  For a song that should have been perfect for Adedapo, it was plain awful.  Steven Tyler showed that once again he is a useless judge who will simply complement the female contestants with the hope that he'll get into their pants later.(1984)

 Paul McDonald had a blast on the stage regardless of pitch problems due to a cold when he took on Elton John's "I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues".  McDonald made me feel like I was watching a six-year old kid who has ADD (not to mention a kid who found his mom's scissors and cut his own hair).  I'm not sure who I felt worse for...McDonald and his cold or the cameramen who had to try and follow this cocaine-fueled performance. (1984)

Thia Megia slowed things down with "Colors of the Wind" by everyone's favorite scorned (and best nude) pageant queen Vanessa Williams.  If it wasn't for Megia's skin-tight and sheer dress (yes, send me to jail now), this performance would be even less mediocre than it was.  (1995)

James Durbin performed my favorite Bar Mitzvah slow dance "I'll Be There For You" by one of my generation's greatest bands Bon Jovi.  For the first time in this competition, Durbin missed the mark for me.  Instead of slow dancing three feet away from the girl that I would later go home and do dirty things to myself thinking about, Durbin pulled up flat throughout the song and it was disappointing that he essentially only sang the chorus, skipping the beginning of the song that leads up to the powerful chorus.  With all of that said, Durbin is a natural performer and brings something to the stage that most of the contestants just don't possess...personality, comfort with being on stage, and the voice to back up a hint of cockiness. (1989)

Haley Reinhart fell into the trap that I continue to voice week after week of taking on a voice that is simply too big for them.  Reinhart couldn't be further out of  the league like a talent like Whitney Houston in her hey day.  Now, to her credit, Reinhart did sound like the Houston of today...off key, uncomfortable on stage, and perhaps strung out.  Oh yeah, and it never helps when a judge starts out with "you look great tonight".  As for the red lipstick smeared on her face?  There is only one place I care to see that lipstick smeared...  Cue the exit music.(1990)

Stefano Langone performed solidly with "If You Don't Know Me By Now", however I simply just don't care to know this kid...and it doesn't help that I now read that he was issued a DUI in 2010 (not long after he was almost killed by a drunk driver).  Way to learn a lesson boy.  God help Idol if this kid somehow wins...he is as boring as Lee DeWyze and will sell as few albums as DeWyze too. (1989)

After slaying a Celine Dion cover, Pia Toscano took on Whitney Houston's "Where Do Broken Hearts Go".  Showing Haley Reinhart the difference between what a powerful singer can do with a song by Houston, Toscano was strong enough to continue in this competition.  It wasn't the most amazing performance ever, but she definitely has pipes.  I would love to see Toscano bring some diva to her performance if she is going to take on the heavyweights of the music world.  Perhaps the most disappointing part of her performance was the video of her parents before her song and learning what Toscano may look like when she gets older...some guy better enjoy the good years while he can get them. (1988)

Country crooner Scotty McCreery continued his string of great performances with Travis Tritt's "Can I Trust You With My Heart?".  Every time this kid opens his mouth, I try to understand where that low voice comes from.  It was great to hear him belt out a little bit at the end to see a bit more of his range.  McCreery continues to be of my favorites despite my less-than-love for 'real' country music; I worry that America will grow tired of country if he doesn't take a chance here or there.  As stated in the past, no matter what happens with his run on Idol, expect a top-selling country record for McCreery. (1993)

Perhaps my least favorite female contestant, Karen Rodriguez, performed Taylor Dane's "Love Will Lead You Back" where she kindly put me to sleep, allowing me to get a nice two-minute rest.  Waking up to hear her sing Spanish, Rodriguez should stick with singing Spanish because she seems to most comfortable when singing in her native tongue. Most embarrassing part of her performance? The Idol producers including English subtitles for her mother when she was speaking ENGLISH!  I recognize that America isn't the brightest of countries, but give the viewers some credit. (1989)

Casey Abrams survived another round of hospital visits to be the first contestant to whip out an instrument when he plucked the strings on Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit".  Freaking me out with a look on his face like that of Hannibal Lecter and the voice, at times, of Adam Sandler screaming, Abrams seemed to impress the judges but simply didn't do much for me. (1991)

Lauren Alaina battled through the flu on a country/bluesy take of Melissa Ethridge's "I'm the Only One".  While not her best performance due to her illness, it amazed me how she is still far better than the majority of the contestants who sung healthy.  I think I was most disturbed by the fact that I think her parents are younger than me and they have a 16-year old!  Not sure if that makes her mom a slut, Lauren an accident, or simply young love..lets hope for the latter.  (1994)

Jacob Lusk closed the night with Heart's "Alone" and it appears that this week was the week where I finally grew tired of him.  Lusk can definitely sing, but he simply isn't going to win the competition and I would rather just see him go now rather than listen to him sing songs that just aren't right for him.  After listening to Lusk speak, I am convinced that if he doesn't make it in gospel, he can perhaps play a muppet.   (1987)

Overall, a hum-drum night of performances and I find myself getting bored of Idol already.  Like seasons past, it looks like it is going to be a long one...

No comments:

Post a Comment