Monday, January 18, 2010

Snore...


Lets start off by saying that if I were a baseball player, I would have had a pretty good game, finishing my predictions at 5 for 14 (.357).  Of course if this was school, I would have failed miserably.  I will go with the former since I am a competitive bastard who hates to lose.

Now onto the Golden Globes ceremony.  In one word: SNORE.  While the Golden Globes tend to be one of the more entertaining award shows since they allow the nominees and presenters to drink, we were unfortunately spared any unpredictable, unplanned moments.  Perhaps NBC should have allowed Mariah Carey an opportunity to present?  You couldn't miss her as she packed her twins in the tighest dress she could find. 

The theme of the night appeared to be cleavage...and a lot of it.  And while the show was extremely boring all night (even while watching it on DVR), that alone may rank it as one of the top award shows ever. 

As for the winners, I was disappointed to see "Avatar" take the prize for best film.  While Cameron understandably deserves the best director award as he amazingly designed almost every animal, blade of grass, and not to mention the invention of an entire language, the actual story rates a B-/C+ at best.

Also extremely disappointed that the Foreign Press went with the comfortable picks of Downey Jr. and Baldwin.  While Downey Jr. was fine in the part of Holmes, there were better actors this year.  Downey's movie ranks as one of the worst five movies this year...a convoluted and boring storyline. 

Great picks include "The Hangover" and "Glee" for best comedy movie and television show respectively along with Mo'Nique for "Precious".  Mo'Nique wins best speech for her eloquent and touching words.  If you haven't "The Hangover" or "Glee", you're really missing out.  While "The Hangover" will most likely insult most everyone, "Glee" does an outstanding job of treating people of all race, ethnicity, and/or handicap with respect.

For the women reading this, best dressed females included the beautiful Zoe Saldana,  the saltry Penelope Cruz in black, Fergie in violet, and Reese Witherspoon in a deep blue dress.

Worst dressed go to Letterman look-alike Anna Paquin in a gold disaster, Mariah Carey, and Chloe Sevigny. 

Ricky Gervais lived up to expectations with a few jokes that skewered those in the crowd, including Sir Paul McCartney and the biggest racist douche in Hollywood, Mel Gibson.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, have to disagree with you on Avatar and The Hangover. Avatar ruled and the story was good (IMO) and The Hangover was totally stupid. Not because it was "offensive"...you know me, I love offensive. I just thought it was too forced, bad acting and I couldn't like the characters. But then it doesn't surprise me coming from the director of Old School, which I also did not like. That's another one I really wanted to like but couldn't. I'd rather watch Team America if I want to see offensive and actually laugh.

    I did not watch the Golden Globes because I loathe awards shows, however, I agree that putting Mariah Carey up there could have made it exciting. And Anna Paquin as a David Letterman lookalike? That cracked my ass right up. You kill me.

    ReplyDelete